112 million people of the US population have listened to a podcast. The average podcast listener subscribes to at least 6 shows.
With the increase in audio-engagement for information, other popular podcasts relate to the vacation rental industry. We found the best vacation rental podcasts from industry influencers. We’ve featured the top podcasts in our new e-book.
This blog post expands on the available podcasts to feature the top 7 vacation rental podcasts.
1. Vacation Rental Success by Heather Bayer
Heather Bayer is the CEO of Cottage Blogger and the Co-founder at Real Estate Advanced Learning for Vacation Rentals at REALforVR. With the help of her son Mike Bayer, the two have launched successful businesses and resources.
In between these positions in 2013, Heather started the podcast Vacation Rental Success. This podcast features interviews with industry experts and successful owners. Listeners come away with tips and strategies they can apply to their business.
- Interviews with industry influencers/business owners
- Includes design tips & marketing ideas
- Gives shout-outs to other industry influencers/resources
- 45 mins – 1 hour
- Cottage Blogger website
- Or where you download podcasts (iPhone App, iTunes, etc.)
- Great introduction music
- Clear quality & voice
Would you like a deeper analysis of this podcast? Or access to exclusive content? Download your copy of Futurestay’s e-book: The 20 Best Places to Learn from Successful, Independent Vacation Rental Entrepreneurs.
2. Holiday Let Success by Elaine Watt
Elaine is the podcast host of Holiday Let Success. She is also involved in Stayable Property Solutions which specializes in short-stay markets.
According to iTunes, Elaine published 4 podcasts throughout 2017. However, there are 75 total episodes queued from 2016. The post frequency ranges from 2-7 podcasts per month.
- Educating owners to build successful businesses
- Focuses on sharing industry knowledge
- How to create lasting guest relationships
- 079: How to Maximize Your Booking.com Income | Jitka Foralova | Booking.com
- Ep 010: Advertising Vacation Rentals | Facebook Mastery | Valerie Shoopman
45 mins – 1 hour
- First Page of the Holiday Let Success website
- Introductory music
- Clear voice
- Draws on personal experience (Ep. 70 Apps & Smartphones)
3. Get Paid for Your Pad by Jasper Ribbers (Airbnb Superhost)
In 2012 Jasper listed his Amsterdam apartment on Airbnb. Through his learning curve, he finally made enough money to travel full-time through his income. As an Airbnb Superhost, he decided to create a website/podcast to show other Airbnb hosts “[how to] avoid pitfall, create outstanding guest experiences and generate an income… while keeping things safe.”
2 times per week, Mondays and Fridays
- Focuses on the Airbnb hosting experience
- How to make the most income
- Actionable tips
- News stories
- Personal anecdotes
- EP212: The Power of Under-Promising and Over-Delivering
- The Week in the World of Airbnb
- 25-30 mins
- Podcast tab of website
- Access 100 Episodes on iTunes
- Strong, clear quality (similiar to radio)
- Custom introduction
- Quiet background, clear guest speakers
4. BiggerPockets by Joshua Dorkin & Brandon Turner
Joshua Dorkin founded BiggerPockets. As a marketing expert, he has published several real estate books and wrote for a variety of blogs. He is also active as a conference speaker.
His co-host is Brandon Turner. Brandon is an active real estate investor, entrepreneur, and author. Their podcast “features off-the-cuff interviews with investors of various backgrounds, niches, and experience levels.”
Once per week on Wednesdays
- The hosts of the podcast describe it as, “Grabbing a beer with hundreds of real estate investors and entrepreneurs.”
- Not technically vacation rental-focused. Though VR owners can gain information through casual discussions about:
- Real estate industry
- Personal learning curves
- Owner information
- BiggerPockets Podcast 256: The Surprising (Scientific) Truth Behind What Makes You Successful with Eric Barker
- BiggerPockets Podcast 255: Six-Figure Real Estate Investing in Just 20 Hours a Week with Elliot Smith
- 1 hour 30 mins
- The Podcast tab of the BiggerPockets website
- iTunes, with 256 episodes
- Casual, conversational radio-style
- Fun introductory music
5. Shampoo and Booze by Ryanne and Jay
Named after the two most frequently left-behind items, Ryanne and Jay share their long and short-term rental experiences. Their podcast tracks their renovations for both large and small projects and renting on Airbnb.
- Varies based on length and complication of property renovations
- Ryanne and Jay know what they’re doing. They document their progress to show the before and after of their renovations. First-hand accounts of the process are shared with owners who may also renovate or flip rental properties.
- Discuss the financial and marketing experience of renovating a home for Airbnb.
- Hosted by owners of rural vacation rentals.
- Covers their renovation progress, long and short-term renting, while running Airbnb’s.
- Shampoo and Booze Episode 53: Renovation 100% Done! Now time to make money.
- 21 minutes-1 hour
- Depends on the stage of the renovation. Mid-process check-ins are less time than final property reviews.
- The Podcast tab of the Shampoo and Booze website
- Download the audio as an mp3
- Natural, realistic dialogue. Not scripted
- No introduction music. Jumps right into the content
- Accompanied by text and visual for an overall story
6. Hosting Your Home by Deb and Rob Hertert
The married high school sweethearts Debi and Rob own 4 vacation rental properties. They have listed on Airbnb since 2010. In 2016, they launched their podcast. Hosting Your Home features Airbnb short-term rental hosts. Listeners can learn about the host’s property, guests, and their stories from the rental industry.
- 2-3 times every few months
- Stories from Airbnb hosts around the world. Topics range from every situation that owners may experience.
- HYH-40 “Sara Anselmi, Airbnb Host in Italy”
- HYH-41 “When Friendship is Your Business” with Bob Garner in Italy
- 28-40 mins
- Podcast tab of the website
- Google Play
- Great intro with music
- Each episode has a visual and write-up under the article
- Clear, high-quality voice
- Doesn’t appear to be scripted, casual interview format
7. The Property Podcast by Rob Bence & Rob Dix
Rob Dix is a blogger and data-seeking property investor. He’s written 3 best-selling books, while acting as director of a finance company. Rob Bence is the founder of RMP Property (a property investment company). He is also the director of a letting agency and property management company in the United Kingdom.
With 100,000 listeners “the Property Podcast is packed with news, useful resources, weekly discussions and advice for established and aspiring property investors.”
- 8-9 times / month
- Broken into categories such as:
- Getting Started
- Ask Rob & Rob
- Goals & Strategy
- Lettings & Management
- Mortgage & Finances
- TPP234: How to Get a High Yield
- TPP216: Alternative Property Investments You Should Be Aware Of
- 30 minutes
- iTunes: 300 episodes available
- The podcast tab of their website
- Introductory music
- Clear, professional quality
What Podcasts Do You Listen To?
Do you listen to any of the best vacation rental industry podcasts? Did we miss any podcasts you think are the best? What podcasts do you find valuable outside of our industry? Share your thoughts and comments below!